The Dutch Reformed Church of Bushkill was built in 1874 replacing an earlier structure. The church grew from missionary work done in 1737 in which year Rev. George Mancius of Kingston organized Dutch Reformed Churches in the Minisink area. The first church building, which was begun in 1832 on a lot donated by Henry Peters, cost about two thousand dollars. The present structure, built in 1874, cost $5,300. The church is now occupied by Bushkill Outreach and the congregation built a new church on Rte. 209.
The Community House
Another interesting building, once served as the Old Pine Ridge Church located on Bushkill Falls Road. It was moved to the Village of Bushkill where it functioned as a library and a schoolhouse. Later, the Riedmiller Brothers constructed a stone foundation under the building, at which time it became the Bushkill Firehouse. The property is currently owned by the Federal Park System.
The first school, according to Simeone Schoonover, was on top of Hog Back Hill. It was made of logs and one side had tumbled down. Sheep often came in and had to be chased out by the children. In 1886 the listed schools in Lehman Township were Hemlock Grove, Brodhead, Schuyler’s Meadow Brook, Pine Ridge Barn Timber and Bushkill.
The last one room school in the township, the Pigeon Roost School, still stands at the intersection of the Briscoe Mountain Road and Factory Road.
Toward the end of the 18th Century growth began in the area. John Heller opened a log tavern with a brown jug for a sign and Henry Peters, a merchant, was appointed the first postmaster in 1812.
Lehman Township has been an established community since 1829. It is a residential community with beautiful scenery, surrounded by the Delaware National Park Service. The Township lies between Porter, Middle Smithfield and Delaware Townships. It is the home of the famous Bushkill Falls.
Listed on the tax rolls for Upper Smithfield Township in 1815 was Joseph Leighman, paying 55 cents on 442 acres. In 1824 his name was spelled Leaman and by 1832 it was Lehman. The Township is approximately 48.9 square miles or approximately 31,296 acres.